Manitoba Metis Federation
MANITOBA METIS FEDERATION INC.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (BOREAL-CLIMATE)
September 10, 2020
The Manitoba Metis Federation (MMF) is the official democratic and self-governing representative for the Metis Nation’s Manitoba Metis Community. The Manitoba Metis are Canada’s Negotiating Partners in Confederation and the Founders of the Province of Manitoba.
The Engagement and Consultation Unit seeks to fill one full-time Research Assistant position within our MMF The Pas Regional Office located at 456 Fischer Ave. in The Pas, MB. Remuneration is $15.55-$16.50 per hour. Reporting to the Environment and Climate Change Coordinator, the Research Assistant (Boreal-Climate) will work from the Regional Office in coordination with the Consultation team at Home Office and in tandem with the Climate Outreach Officer to facilitate much of the actions involved in the MMF Metis Youth Boreal Forest Stewardship and community based climate monitoring initiatives. Preference will be given to qualified Metis Youth (18-35 years of age).
- Research into Region’s boreal forest area, including historical and contemporary information on traditional use, climate impacts, and local industry;
- Assist with the development of a climate action plan for the protection of the Region’s boreal forests;
- Development of a report on findings;
- Collaborative development of a website to share information and findings;
- Presentation of report during Regional meetings; and,
- Development and undertaking of Community outreach activities to spread awareness, share findings, and work towards an eco-tourism model.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma. Post-secondary education is an asset;
- Previous experience working in an office, preferably with a non-profit Indigenous organization;
- Previous experience in community outreach and event organization activities;
- Previous experience in data research, analysis, and presentation, including report writing;
- Previous knowledge of historical and current Environmental and Indigenous issues;
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently or with a team;
- Ability to relate positively with a wide variety of clients and the general public;
- Knowledge of Metis culture and MMF programs and services is a definite asset;
- Valid Manitoba Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including; health, dental, vision, pension and vacation.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, referencing the job posting number by Sunday, September 27, 2020.
The MMF requires a satisfactory criminal record check prior to commencement of employment. The MMF will accept existing criminal record checks if dated within 3 months of your start date. Obtaining this document is not a guarantee of employment.
Preference will be given to qualified Metis applicants and they are encouraged to self-identify on their cover letter. The MMF encourages internal applicants to apply for career opportunities within our Government.
MMF Human Resources Department
300-150 Henry Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0J7
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax to (204) 947-1816
All our job postings can be found at: www.mmf.mb.ca.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com